In hindsight of the M2, the EOS M100 that should've been

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
In hindsight of the M2, the EOS M100 that should've been

With all the glowing reviews of the M100, and, the throwback article about point and shoots today, and lastly, I've been looking back for going forward (that is when I go back to larger formats, I plan to go back to a 5DIII, not the latest and greatest as the 5DIII and cameras from that era have a certain look they achieve for various reasons I won't delve into completely here), it's worth noting what DPR said when the M5 came out; that the technology available in the 70D (I may use the 70D as my crop option some day when I go back to DSLRs), 4 years ago now, was available then, to the M (DPAF), and why didn't Canon do it sooner?

The M2 instead of launching with the same 20MP APS-C DPAF sensor as the 70D, instead launched with the T5i/SL2 Hybrid CMOS AF II sensor. Totally baffling that Canon could've done a camera that would've been very similar to the M100, 4 years ago, at twice the price (if a 70D can launch at $1199, I don't see why a M2 with the same sensor could've launch for around, or a little less than that price).

I think things would've turned out quite different for the EOS M lineup had Canon dug their heels in sooner, taken it more seriously, and perhaps moved a bit faster like their execs claimed they've been trying, and still aren't with no 4k, no 2nd fast prime or fast zoom, still.

Perhaps I shouldn't write such threads as it's hardly constructive, but I had a bit of nostalgia this morning, and went, gee, I'd love to have an M2 someday to go with my 5DIII, but that has DPAF on board, alas, they never did.

Even though I've moved on from the M, it's still a huge potential for Canon, and one they're still not taking seriously, and they're not making the traction they could because of it. Compare that to say their DSLR division, night and day difference. Real shame.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow