WIll I regret getting the 16-50 over the 18-55

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
granola1 New Member • Posts: 21
WIll I regret getting the 16-50 over the 18-55

And a few other questions that have been asked numerous times in this forum...

Having recently chosen to go with the Fuji system for my next camera, I now need to choose the lens to match with the X-t20 which I am planning on getting.

It's a hard choice, the 18-55 is faster, better build and glass and it's also cheaper to get together with the kit compared to getting it separately.

The 16-50 gives a 24mm FOV at the wide end, is a little cheaper, focuses closer and most importantly for me, it weighs 115grams lighter than the 18-55 making it perfect for an EDC and hiking type camera with the X-t20 totaling 578g as a kit.

I don't care about the metal mount on the 18-55 or the aperture ring. It's nice that it's a faster lens but I would rather have the wider FOV. The thing is, it's better to buy the lens as a kit as it's cheaper that way.

I've pretty much made up my mind on this lens. I've seen the IQ samples and I'm good with what the 16-50 delivers. I'm just wondering if I might want the 18-55 one day, it seems silly to have two lenses that overlap like these two. I'm on a very tight budget (double my original, actually) so I want to cover all my ground. I'd like to know more from experienced users  and those who've had both and went with the 16-50 if you think I'm making the right choice or if there's anything I'm overlooking.

Also, is the OIS on the XC lenses as good as the XF? Will I be able to switch aperture control from front to rear dial if I choose, or is it permanently set to the front?

Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow