Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 2,376
Re: Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear

Vince P wrote:

lightandaprayer wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

At the time I've sent e-mail to Nikon about if bottom plate on Nikon cameras is strong enough for this type of connection and the answer was "Yes". I use BR to carry my camera when I am walking around. So far no problems. And I am using DIY safety strip.

Another Nikon representative was quoted as saying that the camera tripod socket is not designed for attaching a strap, Nikon has not tested it for that use and any damage to the camera caused by such use will not be covered by Nikon's warranty.

Apparently Nikon's position on the matter depends on who you happen to talk to on any given day. . . A Canon rep also had a similar take on the issue.

Take a look at the different kinds of damage caused to Nikon cameras in the link I included in an earlier post. It seems obvious to me that the tripod socket is not capable of standing up to much downward force. Sure, the "safety strap" will probably prevent the camera and lens from crashing to the ground. But the camera will have already suffered damage. The D800 damage that was caused by a sling strap was deemed "unrepairable" by Nikon. That's a lot of money to risk for a camera strap.

You do know Nikon now sell these for use with Nikon cameras and developed them with black Rapid ? I have an email from Nikon NPS who asked the question of Nikon japan saying that all CURRENT models are rated for use with them. I don't think your post had current models, it is the same photo that has been doing the rounds since 2005 3 years before Black Rapid?

Even Canon seems not too bad.

The most recent model in the pics that I posted is a D800.

I don't doubt the veracity of your email from NPS, although I'd love it if you posted it. . . Frankly, what would settle this for me once and for all is Nikon clearly stating which cameras it certifies as being OK to use with a Black Rapid and that a warranty claim for failure of the tripod screw and/or baseplate would be accepted.

It's difficult to accept that all of Nikon's current models have completely new tripod socket designs than the earlier cameras that suffered a failure.  It would make me feel a lot better if I had a way to verify it.

lot of photographers use sling straps. It isn't asking too much of Nikon to make a statement regarding the use of the tripod socket for connecting a camera strap.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GO
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow