Numbers vs. judgement

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,247
Re: Mumbo jumbo with numbers

NCV wrote:

Moti wrote:

Okapi001 wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Yes the numbers exist, but all those people use their judgment to take the shot, because they don't even know about the numbers.

Their photos are not properly exposed and focused because of their good judgement, but thanks to advanced eletcronics in their cameras.

Utter nonsense. Even if their cameras use advanced technolog and have AF, it is still the photographer who has to know where to focus, it is the photographer who knows how to get the required exposure, the required composition and the list is long. So any way you look at it, judgement is important.

Give them a manual camera and all their good judgments will suddenly disapear.

Another nonsense. This is typical gearhead talk. Manual camera means nothing. You can be an excellent photographer using Auto mode and a lousy one using manual.

My wife doesn't look at figures, never heard about equivallence, doesnt know how to calculate DOF, shoots half of the time in P mode etc. And yet, this did not disturb her from becoming a Fellow of the Royal Photography Society, Exhibiting and selling her photos internationally, and having her work chosen by the British media archives as part of the UK national art collection. And why is that? Because unlike most of you gearheads, she has a good eye, a good vision, great talent and good judgement which which are always there and never disappear.

Moti

Some time ago I say a wonderful set of pictures done by a woman on an old Nikon D70. She claimed to have zero technical knowledge, but I think she had some good PP skills. I believe she was an artist by training. So yes, good work can be done in auto everything.

Then we have Ansel Adams who’s work depended to a large degree on his understanding of the technical aspects of photography

This is an interesting comparison because basically although both did exactly the same work, Adams editing in the lab and the lady editing on the computer, Adams needed different technical skills then the lady because his lab was much less sophisticated and automatic compared to the lady's computerised lab.

The eternal question is, what would Adams have done if he had Photoshop ?

There is no answer to this debate.

No, not the way debates are handled here but t this topic, on thing is sure. There is much more into photography then just numbers. I believe that you can always be a great photographer without looking at numbers, you'll never be one if numbers is all you have.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow