Started Dec 5, 2017 | Discussions thread
SteveY80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,054
Re: On "misleading"

Sergey_Green wrote:

Okapi001 wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

Okapi001 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

But, somehow, Equivalence is misleading -- even given that *all* the above has been specifically pointed out

It may well be written in the E-vangelion, but then in random posts it is often stated just as "FF has a 2 stop advantage any which way you cut it", which is misleading, any which way you cut it.

With contemporary tech and for the same visual properties in the image there will be about 2 stops difference. There is nothing about "any way you cut it in" in it, and is rather simple to understand concept

For starters it's difference, not advantage, as it is usually inferred. And there are also other factors, in real life, affecting actual "visual properties", which are never really "the same".

You can always stop both down, but you can open up only one to where the other will not go.

This works both ways. If FF and 4/3 lenses have the same range of f-stops, the one on the 4/3 sensor will have a larger shooting envelope when it's deep DOF that's desirable.

Being able to get a shallower depth of field is a big advantage if you need it -- e.g. for portraits -- but not a concern if you don't. The exact same thing is true when it comes to the availability of narrow apertures with deeper DOF.

Obviously it's not something you use, so doesn't matter to you, but personally I find the extra DOF 4/3 offers at f/16-22 very useful for macro photography. For the photos I personally want to take using my m4/3 gear, I need those narrow apertures more often than I need anything wider than f/1.8.

SteveY80's gear list:SteveY80's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a77 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow