Better image quality beyond d3300?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
paul pearson New Member • Posts: 5
Better image quality beyond d3300?

I started getting interested in photography a year or two ago and bought myself a d3300 with the kit lens and the 55 - 200mm f/4-5.6g. While I'm reasonably pleased with my beginner's-level results, I am always interested in how best to upgrade my equipment as well as my skills!

The beginners range of Nikon cameras, including mine, tend to get good reviews. Looking at the midrange and beyond, eg d5300, d7200 etc, from what I can tell from specs and reviews, the advantages seem to be the *features* you get with the higher models, such as larger screen, more (cross-type) af points, quicker access to menu controls etc. In fact comparisons show that some such models have the same sensor as mine.

So what I'm asking is, if I was looking to upgrade my camera at some point to one that was actually capable of taking better images, what's the minimum model I'd need to go to? I appreciate that all of those features help you take a better picture, but I mean a camera which is able to take a quality of image which an expert would be unable to take with my d3300.

I know there'll be people saying that it's the lens that dictates the quality more than the camera, and if that's the case then fine, I'll concentrate on getting better lenses. I'm also aware of full-frame, but my budget won't stretch to that yet.

I also appreciate that "better quality" can mean different things. If it's any help my main interest is landscape, so features that allow me to focus really quickly aren't a factor for me. Maybe I'm just asking about a camera that has a "better" sensor than mine, where I would see a noticeable difference with a landscape, all else being equal (without going full-frame!).

All opinions appreciated.

Nikon D3 Nikon D3300 Nikon D5 Nikon D5000 Nikon D5300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow