6d2 or 5d3 with ML for video: which would you choose?

Started Dec 4, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Clairaut Junior Member • Posts: 38
6d2 or 5d3 with ML for video: which would you choose?

Here are my needs: I want a robust FF camera that will be used 50 percent for video. Video will be predominantly journalistic  interviews without lots of prep for two to 10 minutes segments, but maybe some longer feature work too. I will be recording audio externally.

Good deals on both of these cameras right now. What I like about the 6d2 is the DPAF and tilt screen. Suggests that it will be very easy to set up and shoot quickly and might be gimbal friendly. What I'm not sure about is the quality of the 1080. I realize we can fetishize 4k aesthetic reasons but the reality is that most people will view these vids on much lower res settings. That isn't an excuse for mushy imagery tho...

What I like about the 5d3 is the robust build and the ability to use ML, which gives greater shooting options in terms of res and exposure. Some great videos have been shot with this combo—but it is going to be slower due to—essentially—being manual focus. Also heavier and  more expensive—and maybe needs an external monitor to be sure that focus peaking is doing its job (I've used an atomos flame monitor on an A7sii and there really is a difference in using peaking on a monitor vs a camera screen).

What would you choose and why? I like the idea of dual iso in stills shooting with ML—has anyone found this to be a great feature?

Thanks!

T

Clairaut's gear list:Clairaut's gear list
Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow