Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Staffordian New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear

Your story is so similar to mine that I need to tell it as well. I had a Black Rapid strap Sports attached to Canon 7D Mark ii on which I used a 100 - 400mm lens. Over the weekend. I picked up my camera and the camera strap dropped onto a concrete floor 6 foot below me. I thought the screw into the tripod mount had come loose but no - not the case at all. The metal of the clasp that hooks onto the screw and hoop portion had worn through to a point that the metal of the clip fractured and failed. That could have been £3000 of camera gear falling 6 foot onto concrete. I want to warn all people who use these straps that this can happen, especially if you use a heavy lens on your camera as the norm. I have now bought a new strap with a far improved fixing system to the camera. Such products are out there.

Metal wearing down on metal day after will cause this problem but there was no wear on the screw - loop part only on the clasp - hook part. Something is not right here and Black Rapid need to resolve this. I shall be removing my Black Rapid strap from my other camera before I use it again and consign it to the garbage bin where it belongs

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow