20-40 Lens Hood

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeFreeze Regular Member • Posts: 129
20-40 Lens Hood

Warning to fans; this is a wee bit of a rant.  If that bothers you, just skip this thread.

I just unboxed my new 20-40 Limited, and my first impressions are mixed.  It's a beautiful piece of kit worthy of the "Limited" badge, but what is this strange little protuberance on the end?  It's a poor excuse for a lens hood, and it's attached onto the lens filter screw !?  Why do that?  So to put on the UV filter, you have to unscrew this "lens hood" and screw on the filter, then screw this dinky little "lens hood" into the UV filter - no kidding.   Now if you want to shoot with a polarized filter or ND filter, you have to reverse that process.  The little "lens hood" thingy is necessary if you want to use the included lens cap, so you can't just leave it off unless you buy another cap.

OK, maybe others will consider this just a minor irritation, but I'm not a fan of it.  The dinky little lens hood isn't much of a hood at all as it only protrudes out about 6-7mm; it isn't going to block much glare in outside sunlight.  I guess I need to find a way to adopt a real hood to the lens and then find another solution for the lens cap - I just bought a new lens, why do I have to do this!

I may be happy with the quality of the pics I get - I probably will if it works as well as other Limited lenses I have - but I don't yet know cause I'm so irritated I haven't shot with it yet.  When I first handled the lens, I couldn't find a way to attach a filter at all because the "lens hood" was screwed on tightly and I thought it was just part of the lens - I couldn't believe it when I discovered that this little guy was actually screwed into the lens filter threads.  Sigh... OK, I'm better now, thanks for letting me rant a bit - I'll get over it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Freeze
Amateur Photog Since 1974

MikeFreeze's gear list:MikeFreeze's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow