YACC

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DavidWright2010 Contributing Member • Posts: 910
YACC

(I swiped that acronym from the computer geeks.)

You may remember that last year I compared the Pentax K-70 (in pixel-shift mode) with my SD1M and DPxM cams. At that time I found that the Pentax had better resolution than any of the Sigmas except for the DP3M.

My technique has improved a bit since then, and I have even 'dipped my toe' in the ocean of RawTherapee processing, which has a template now for Pentax PS processing.

I was out today trying to capture some vineyard colors (sadly, almost all the local vineyards now have fences and 'no trespassing' signs), so here's a comparison of the K-70 and DP3M. I shot both cams at f/5.6, manual focus, delayed shutter, and from the same tripod. The K-70 was zoomed to 50 mm but the photo says it was really 48 mm. Focus was on the red leaf in the center.

First, the zoomed-in comparison - RawTherapee on left, SilkyPix center, and Sigma right:

And here are the (half-sized) images:

K-70, RawTherapee

K-70, DCU 5.6 (uses the SilkyPix engine)

DP3M

(BTW, whenever I am out with the Pentax and a tripod, I shoot everything that might possibly be stationary in PS mode. Memory cards and external hard drives are cheap.)

My take-away on this is that the K-70 is an inexpensive way to experiment with pixel-shift. For the kind of photography I do, only gale-force winds prevent me from getting a decent result from pixel-shift. I only wish that Sigma would make more lenses for the Pentax mount.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-70
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow