ePhotozine Reviews the G1X III

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim Senior Member • Posts: 2,457
Re: ePhotozine Reviews the G1X III

Lightgreen wrote:

tokumeino wrote:

Well... is the sensor efficient enough to balance the "slow" lens at higher ISO ?

Yes and no. The G1X II's sensor was just old, thus the equivalence benefit it's lens boasted although helpful portraiture, got negated in many cases in low light, not all cases though, even though DPR would like you to believe that. My real world experience indicates the G1X II is superior in low light then say the RX100 III which I compared it head to head against once, but it was the low light rendering, that was better and only in certain scenes, which I could only attribute to the much faster lens. DPR claims one cancels the other, which the same logic holds true of the G1X III; it's sensor is radically newer, and better, then say it's G1X II predecessor, but, shares the same equivalence as say the RX100 V. I'd say it's pretty close to a draw, the G1X III vs say the G1X II or RX100 series (III-V). I found given certain circumstances, the G1X II "beat" the RX100 III, despite the two cancelling each other (equivalence vs sensor tech), but, in other circumstances it was a draw. The G1X III should share the same.

Compared to the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 Mark V, which has a 1inch 20mp BSI CMOS sensor, results at ISO6400 are similar

Nevermind... I want the highest quality at base ISO, and if the lens is sharp, then I don't care about aperture...

Well you're getting both. The G1X III is superior at base ISO, and the lens is sharper. Physics at play here both on the sensor IE SNR and base ISO advantage, and also optical design, the APS-C optic should be superior.

The lens performs well at the wide-angle end, and is very sharp centrally, and remains quite sharp into the corners.

... so long for landscapers.

It looks better in the corners (and center), then say a G5X / G7X II, in my eyes.

A Rebel mounted with a 10-18 will of course be "better", but the G1X III is highly portable.

My takeaway is the G1X III is largely the same IQ as a Rebel with 24-72 range (no lens swaps), but in a much smaller form factor and weather sealing. That was ePhotozine's conclusion, and I arrived at the same after looking at the specs and samples and 2 formal reviews we have now. They add up.

At the end of the day and in normal every day use, there doesn’t seem to be a big difference between the G1X II and the III image quality wise. The eye watering price of the III is the 800 pound gorilla in the room with a new/near new II available at less than half the price of the III. And Canon wonders why high end G1X (and G3X) sales disappoint. Go figure.

Jim

Jim's gear list:Jim's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Jim
(unknown member)
YWG
(unknown member)
YWG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow