Lighting for future endeavours

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Atarijedi Junior Member • Posts: 45
Lighting for future endeavours

Greetings all,

Like the typical amateur, I've really only ever delved into landscape/nature/wildlife photography, with the odd still life of flowers, or cars at car shows.

I'd like to try to get into something more productive, that I could possibly expand into a side business. My idea was to buy some lighting, and practice doing some product photography and real estate photography. Possibly some family/friend portraits, but I don't really like portraiture so this isn't that important.

I'd like to buy enough lighting the first time, to get me through all this, whilst also not breaking the bank. I have a somewhat significant amount saved up for this though, and I've been putting a lot of thought into it over the last few weeks, watching lots of youtube videos on product lighting as well.

So I was thinking about getting 1 600Ws monolight, 2 200/300Ws strobes (either monolight, or something like the AD200), and then 2 speedlites.

I'm most likely going to go all Godox, or its offshoots, as I own an Olympus, and they are really the only ones that offer compatability with Olympus products (supposedly releasing an XPro controller in Feb).

Then I was going to pick up 2 or 3 square softboxes, 2 or 3 strip softboxes, some bowens reflectors with diffusers, grids, snoots, some speedlite>bowens adapters. 3 heavy duty stands, 3 light duty stands, some sandbags. 3 large white foldable reflectors (44x60), and 2 60x40 foldable reflector "packs", there is like 5 in each pack, silver/gold/black/white/white-translucent. Then also a backdrop stand with white/black/grey backdrops.

Also a bunch of pieces of acrylic/plexiglass, maybe some granite or slate, for the product photography.

Maybe overkill for a beginner, but I like to be prepared, and it having it all there will give me the ability to experiment when I'm in the mood to shoot, and not miss the moment because I'm waiting for a new delivery.

I am just wondering if you think the lighting would be sufficient for both product and real estate uses, and whether I am forgetting anything. I figure the 600Ws monolight would be enough for both products, and should I get into real estate and need to light up a big room, it should be more than enough, plus I have the others for backup (if they match colour temp).

Thanks for the help!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow