Which kits lens at 18mm gives best IQ? Also, flash question.

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noshea Regular Member • Posts: 142
Which kits lens at 18mm gives best IQ? Also, flash question.

Hi, I'm a long-time user of Pentax FA Ltds but I'm thinking of getting a cheap and small flash system for the odd time when the on-board flash of my K3/K5sii won't cut it. For that reason, I'm looking at an 18-55 lens and possibly a Metz Mecablitz 26 AF-2 digital, which lets me bounce the flash and fill-in with hopefully a more natural look than on-board flash.

Does anyone have views on:

a) which, if any, of the 18-55 lenses produced over the years has noticeably better IQ in the 18-25mm range? I'm assuming I'd be stopped down to at least 5.6, ideally  f8 if the flash will allow me maintain exposure with a shutter speed that will stop the action and keep under ISO800. I include here the Schneider-Kreuznach's that came with the early Samsungs etc. AF speed is not that important, AF accuracy fairly important (but more a function of camera body?)

b) which, of the flashes available for the K series are the best balance of size, flexibility, power and cost? The biggest I'd be willing to go to is the Pentax AF360 Mark II - though this is on the pricey side for the rare occasions when I'll need it.

Many thanks

Niall

noshea's gear list:noshea's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-7 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 +14 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow