Photographing Interiors/Kitchens - Lighting Options

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
victorshikhman New Member • Posts: 16
Photographing Interiors/Kitchens - Lighting Options

I'm not a pro, but after seeing some of my pics, my wife's interior design startup has asked me to try shooting their completed kitchens (fairly high-end stuff). Frankly, I told him I'm not the guy for this, but he insisted. After years of amateur photography, but watching all the pros on youtube, I'm tempted to give it a shot.

Warning: I'm on a T2i, with a solid manfrotto tripod, and a collection of typical Canon EF-S lenses, most of which will be useless due to the tight space. But hey, this wouldn't be fun if I had the best gear. I don't want to drop significant cash on new gear unless it turns into a regular gig.

I think the two areas of concern when photographing kitchens will be
1) Sufficient light (shooting indoors)
2) Wide angles (tight kitchen spaces)

If I have space, my 24mm 2.8 should be fine, and I can cover the wide angles with my 10-18mm. It's slow, of course, but not many other wide options on APC-C, and I can compensate with light. I can pick out accents with a 50mm 1.8 and work some bokeh into it.

When it comes to light, however, I'm out of my depth. I've mostly shot outdoors. I've used a softbox in the past for portrait-style photos, but this will be pretty uncontrolled conditions, different geometry and light in every kitchen. I'll really need to consider the light composition of each shot. Color correction and post production is another story entirely.

Should I invest in a speedlight, two speedlights? A softbox? I'll have time to experiment with getting the shot on site, but what would you recommend to give me that flexibility? Preferably, gear I can get on Amazon or buy/rent from B&H.

Also, if you know a good interior lighting tutorial/youtube that you think might help with composing the shot, please link it.

And don't worry, if it turns into a regular gig, I will probably get a used 6D with an 11-24/17-40/16-35.

Thank you!

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow