Pondering Portrait lens theory

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ndross New Member • Posts: 7
Pondering Portrait lens theory

So this isn't a specific recommendation question just a theory question. I recently upgraded to a D850, high mp count camera. My long in the tooth 85mm 1.8d could use an upgrade,,, maybe.  Here is the question:

Now that we have eye sharpening abilities in post, and super sharp lenses w/ 45mp cameras. Do you get the sharpest lens, which generally means spending a bit of time in post softening / defocusing skin and blemishes ,while masking the eyes, ... or... do you shoot a not so sharp and usually less expensive lens, and just sharpen the eyes (a tad!!)

I shot the 85 1.4 art and its amazingly sharp on this camera,,, almost too sharp for a portrait of a teenager, with skin issues... No complaints on the lens or the camera, it just made me beg the question is it the right tool for the job?

Conventional wisdom has always steered me towards sharp, IQ, now that gear is approaching film rez would restoring the practice of not grabbing the sharpest lens in the bag become prudent?

Curious to hear other's thoughts on this?

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow