Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,059
Re: Picktorial

HatWearingFool wrote:

AndyMulhearn wrote:

HatWearingFool wrote:

Since you use a Mac i would seriously look at

https://www.picktorial.com/

It lets you use apple photos as the DAM but gives you a serious raw editor.

No comment on Picktorial, but does anyone seriously look at Photos as a DAM?

Millions of people use photos to handle their photos on macs. It is pretty much the defualt option so there is a decent change the OP is already using it. It also syncs everything nicely between all of your Apple devices (phone, mac, tv, etc)

Guilty on count 1. I often load finished photos into photos. I find it pretty limited as a DAM, however. IMO, it's very limited in terms of culling and then doing any kind of batch processing of selected photos. There may be work arounds but it certainly seems very limited to me. There are lots of software extensions, including both Luminar and On2 that play nice with Photos, so it's workable. I just think not very efficient.

So there is a lot to recommend it.

I know quite a few Mac users who export photo's into photo just for the syncing and sharing, so if you are going to export the final product into photo why not just do everything there if you can?

I don't use photo's at the moment, but I'd consider it and picktorial if I left lightroom.

If Apple had just tweaked Aperture to keep it running on later versions of OS X they'd be in a better place. Photos is, to my mind along with removing SD Card readers from their laptops, an indication that Apple aren't interested in photographers any more.

Rant over.

-- hide signature --

Andy

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow