Suggested upgrade from Nikkor 50mm 1.4D on D600 to improve AF

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Leon Triage New Member • Posts: 16
Suggested upgrade from Nikkor 50mm 1.4D on D600 to improve AF

I have a D600 and Nikon 50mm 1.4D. I enjoy using the combo but I'm frustrated by the focus inaccuracy - it seems to often miss focus;  Front and back inconsistently so I don't believe its a micro adjust issue. I'm assuming this is screw drive backlash? I've read that this lens has never been perfect. Live view seems to be more accurate but is too slow (I shoot toddlers). I know this is not a sharp lens wide open and I can usually spot where the actual focus ends up - its definitely missing. I use shutter speeds over 160 and it seems to do it on a tripod too so I don't think its all my own technique.

Is it worth having the lens and camera serviced? What (cheap!) upgrade options are available to make a significant improvement? e.g. would moving to a Nikon G or Sigma HSM in-lens motor be worth the cost on my D600? Or do I need to upgrade to a newer body to see worthwhile improvements? I want the best of both worlds: the focus accuracy of a CDAF Sony and the AF speed of a pro-level DSLR.

Leon Triage's gear list:Leon Triage's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow