Printer advise needed

Started Nov 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
Jessica-Michael Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Printer advise needed

So, let me get this straight. You’re confused between buying a Laserjet or an Inkjet printer that can print on multiple types of media and have inexpesnive cartridge replacement rates. Far cry, mate.

Let me start with all the cons involved in your question, but do not lose hope. I still have two, maybe even three printer models that will be suitable for you.

My answer may be three times as long as your question, bear with me. I want to give you a holistic and comprehensive review, so that you can make an informed decision.

Printers come with a lot of special features these days and in order to get the best one for you, you need to realistically analyse what you basically need from the printer. Do not say printing, please.

Also, when we talk of printheads in a printer, it is always better to have it inside the printer. The lesser someone handles or mishandles a printhead, the longer it lasts. A printhead that comes with the cartrisge will have to be touched everytime you replace an ink cartridge on your printer and this will do the print quality no good. In fact, it may even lead to clogs and build up on the cartridge contacts.

Although it seems expensive to replace cartridges on your printer, it may be the best way to ensure that the print quality on your printer does not go for a toss. If you feel that the cost of the cartrdige surpasses that of the printer itself, there are ways to work around that. Printer manufacturers offer monthly ink subscription packages that provide regular and timely refills at nominal costs. Opt for one of those and choose a plan that works for you.

The major difference between an inkjet and a laserjet is the printing mechanism. Inkjet uses ink and can be used for light duty print jobs whereas laserjet uses toner and can support heavy duty ones too. Get an inkjet for home use and a laserjet for business use is what I would say. No, I am not done yet, an inkjet printer is not your answer. I’m not completely sure which is better for you.

I have two models in mind right now. The HP Color LaserJet Pro M254nw

(T6B59A) and the HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw (T6B60A). Both of these laser printers have an automatic duplexer, which is something you specified as a requirement. They print up to 40,00 pages in A4 every month and yes, they support multiple paper types. I would suggest either of these printers, they both fit a lot of your demands. The cartridges are slotted in a rack that can be pulled out of the front of the printer, if you need to replace them. You also have the option of buying XL versions of the cartridges at negligible prices.

An inkjet printer may seem like an economical option at first, but the cost of replacing cartridges is very high and the capacity is not as much as a laserjet cartridge, which means you will need a replacement quite often. If you are observant enough, you will notice that the cost of maintaining this printer is more than that of the printer itself.

A laser printer on the other hand, has a drum unit that transfers powdered ink onto the paper. In some printers, the toner and drum are two separate units and in some printers, they are conjoined. Depending on the type, you may have to replace one or both the parts when the toner dries out.

Here’s a line up of what I like and don’t like about the two kinds of printers.

Inkjet printers:

This is generally looked at as small office printer, owing to its light weight and compact nature. It produces quality prints of photographs and heavy resolution images. It is more adept at blending and fusing lush colors to produce high definition images. It also supports printing on a variety of media.

What is not to like about this printer is the frequency of ink replacement because of the low- yeilding cartridges. It may turn out to be expensive. The duty cycle and the input capacity is also not impressive on the business front.

Laser printers:

These are a lot faster than their inkjet counterparts and you will notice the difference first-hand. Thetext quality is sharp and so is the volume. If image quality and high resolution are important, this printer may not be the most suitable option.

Otherwise, the running cost of the printer, the maintanence involved and the volume are all highly satisfying.

In the long run, toner would seem cheaper than using a lrag evolume ink cartridge. But then, the upfront cost of the printer itself may seem high.

It all boils down to what you want to print and how often you will use the printer. Get the inkjet if image quality and high-definition graphics are what you want from yoyur printer. But be aware that it may not satsify a lot of your other requirements.

It is not to say that laser printers are bad at producing graphic image prints. It is just that it may not be exactly as pretty as you wanted it to be. Choose wisely, you may be able to save hundreds of dollars.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow