jpeg file size increase in a Photoshop save?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
filmrescue Contributing Member • Posts: 774
jpeg file size increase in a Photoshop save?

When I'm scanning a 35mm piece of color film and saving as a jpeg at the scanners best quality setting (least jpeg compression), both on a Creo iQsmart 3 and a Fuji SP300 at 4000 dpi, I end up with a file size of about 5 to 8 mb. If I open that file in photoshop and do any work to it, even a simple image rotate, and then resave it at it's lowest compression/highest quality setting (quality 12) I end up with a file size that's about double to the original file that I had opened and then resaved.

Is it that Photoshop, when saving at the highest quality setting, is upping the file size to have the least possible destruction to the jpeg file when saving after an edit?

Not looking for instruction in lossy vs non lossy compression, destructive or non destructive editing or the disadvantages of Jpegs...I really just want to know what's going on with the increased file size when resaving a jpeg in Photoshop at the highest quality setting.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow