EF 70-300 f4-5,6 L vs EF 100-400 f4,5-5,6 L

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Swagmaestro Junior Member • Posts: 26
EF 70-300 f4-5,6 L vs EF 100-400 f4,5-5,6 L

Hi all.

I am looking to add a proper zoom lens to my kit and after researching I have narrowed the choice down to the 70-300L and the 100-400L. There is quite a price difference between the two, but with rebates because of the end of year sale I can order the 70-300 for €1050 and the 100-400 for €1550. I have compared the features and still can’t come to a decision so would like your input to make a final choice (do you feel the pressure? ).

Reason I am looking for a new  lens is because last summer I went on safari and found the 70-200 didnt have enough reach. However I won’t be going on safari anytime soon, but will visit Australia and do city trips so I am looking for versatile lens for any typenof holiday.

So far the pro’s of the 70-300 are size/weight (better for city trips and long walks), max aperture and price. Cons are the reach, no option for extenders and focus distance.

The 100-400 is more expensive, has a smaller max aperture and weighs a lot more. However the reach is better and can be used at a focus distance of 0,9mtr.

So the biggest questions for me are: what lens would you use the most out of these two (versatility) and which has the better picture quality? Anyone with any experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Swagmaestro's gear list:Swagmaestro's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow