RX10 owner needing more reach: Does it make sense to pickup an FZ1000 these days?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
RX10 owner needing more reach: Does it make sense to pickup an FZ1000 these days?

I'm an RX10 (original) owner and am happy with the camera, but with my son playing cricket now I find the 200mm reach is not enough. I need at least 400mm.

Looking around at my various options - both fixed lens and ILC - I'm surprised to find I keep coming back to the FZ1000. I wouldn't have thought I would be considering a camera that has been on the market for 3 years now, but it seems to tick all the boxes at the right price point.

The new RX10 models have the 600mm lens but are just too pricey, and the FZ2000/25000 doesn't really seem to offer much over the FZ1000 aside from more advanced video features. In fact optically it seems like the lens is not as good as the FZ1000.

Advantages over my current RX10 include an LCD that flips to the front (great for composing selfies with my kids) and 4K video (I don't so much need 4K video, but it would be great to capture 8MP stills from my son's cricket).

The down sides are the lens is f/2.8-4 vs my RX10's constant aperture f/2.8, and lack of an ND filter. But if I need the reach they would be trade-offs I could certainly live with.

Just wondering what others thought of purchasing the 2014 FZ1000 in 2017?

Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow