Starting to get apprehensive re IBIS

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,594
Starting to get apprehensive re IBIS

No, not the usual concern over whether IQ will take a hit. I've finally figured out what it was about the Sony A7r2 that had me seek out Fuji.

I thought it was mostly about the size of FF lenses - the one's I coveted had a mass I didn't want to accept. But with compromises I worked through it. Yet, when on vacation this year I decided it was time for a smaller form factor kit.

It's been nearly a year that I've been picking up the X-T2 over the Sony. Last night I turned back to the Sony kit and it all became clear. . .

I first handled the A7s. Very comfortable fit in my hand. Not quite as comfortable as the E-M1 I had, or the X-T2 in hand now, but wholly acceptable. Then with the A7r2 picked up. . . while I had come to terms with it, the grip is now felt to be uncomfortable due to the extra front to back dimension which was needed to accommodate the addition of IBIS to that body. And I reflect now that my hand (which has the beginnings of arthritic issues, due to earlier abuse when I didn't have a hammer or pliers handy) doesn't ache as severely, if at all, after using the Fuji like it did with the Sony.

This started with wanting just an extra stop or two over what the Fujichron f/2's offer. Weighing whether I should drop a dime for the f/1.x 23, 35 & 16 primes, or wait for Fuji IBIS - I'm afraid now that the same thing will occur with Fuji's implementation.

I guess I've become more particular, and I'm surprised as I've always touted I could adapt to anything. Well, I can, but I just don't want to at this point in time. I don't suppose I'm all that unique, some may find the same concern when Fuji IBIS is rolled out, but I don't expect most to feel the same.

So while I still want to see what Fuji comes up with, I feel for me it's a "be careful of what you wish for" thing. I suppose I could have opened with a poll. . .

Do you feel:

- 1st world problem, but I too wonder

- 1st world problem, and not at all a concern

- 1st world problem, on top of Bob being a bit odd anyway, wholly unrelated.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow