IS lenses on a tripod - disable IS or not?

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
totleytom Contributing Member • Posts: 508
IS lenses on a tripod - disable IS or not?

Here's a question - is it best to disable the IS on lenses when using a tripod or not? I'm specifically asking about the 24-105 f4 L Mk 1, and the 70-200 f4 L IS.

I've had experiences in the past when I've gone out at sunrise with a camera, tripod and lens, and come back disappointed - I'd left the IS functionality turned on and found strangely blurred images when I processed them.

So this morning I went out early and took some pictures using these lenses, with the camera tripod-mounted and IS turned off on both lenses. I was disappointed to find that several shots exhibited some blur. This was probably due to camera shake as conditions were very windy - at times I was having to hold the tripod to stop it ending up half-a-mile away across the moor. If I'd been hand-holding the camera IS would definitely have been turned on which might have made an improvement, but of course I'd turned it off because of the tripod use....

So what's the current view on this issue?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow