Does the 56mm f/1.2 have a place in a travel kit? (for street portraiture)

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canonbcguy Regular Member • Posts: 243
Does the 56mm f/1.2 have a place in a travel kit? (for street portraiture)

I travel with my Fujis.   On my recent trips, I've had some combination of X-T2 and X-T10 with 1 to 3 of the 18-135mm, 18mm, 10-24mm, 50-230mm and 35 f/2.    (not all lenses and cameras came on the same trip; the kit varied with the situation).

On most trips, I've done at least a few street portraits.  I've had to make do with whatever I was carrying, usually the 18-135.

The most recent trip, I had to make do with the 50-230mm and its limited depth of field and lens speed.  It is during those moments that I was curious if I should have also brought a 56 1.2.

I don't have this lens yet and am trying to rationalize the case for it.  If it were JUST for street portraiture, I'm not sure I could justify its cost and weight.

But if it were useful for OTHER  things when traveling, I could be swayed.  (e.g. low light indoor situations)

What have you used your 56 for when traveling?

Would you bring it again?

Note:  for me, "travel" means vacation and leisure only (as opposed to business or work or a photo assignment).  If I'm traveling alone, a big / important component is photography.  if I'm traveling with family members, I'm trying not to be a pain in the rear and keeping mostly to documenting the trip (usually not fully successfully...)

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 III Nikon D7100 Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V +32 more
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow