Day two... (thus far + daytime samples)

Started Nov 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
Re: Day two... (thus far + daytime samples)

I'll turn lemons into lemonade here, and, despite the thread getting hijacked about my posting style instead of this camera of photography, let me clear the air and freely admit I'm a prolific poster, and guilty of not streamlining my thoughts. Apologies for the slight chaos I can cause in my enthusiasm, and I'll stick my continuous thoughts in the thread here and streamline them "in thread" going forward; hopefully it isn't buried as many folks don't know how to use the flat view and might be turned off by the discussion thus far... Moving on...

The nice thing about this camera is it's simplicity, no lens swaps, lightweight, powerful, allows me to focus on the basics again IE photography. I'm a bit rusty as with the craziness of life, I haven't had time to practice, or perfect my skills like former "glory days" before kids. I've taken the feedback given, and am improving my shooting technique; hopefully tonights samples are better.

I discussed with my wife what she thought of me not having to swap lenses, she smiled and said that was very nice. When you're running around chasing kids, you need something like this to keep up. Also, I noted while chasing them tonight, that the former G1X II I owned previously, was a bit too heavy for this sort of thing; literally running after kids with this thing dangling on you, works, vs say my M5 with even a 22 attached, I had to hold it, while running.

I've taken note of my own samples, and being familiar with my own handiwork as a benchmark, I can confidently say that my samples do reflect the same optical and sensor characteristics as both DPR's samples (which I didn't care for much on first viewing, but grew on me over time), or Popco's samples, which that man can shoot. Rest assured, it's the photographer holding up the camera here. The camera I've got, from all I can tell, can deliver the same shots I've seen from both DPR's galleries, and Popcos. This is good as it means Canon's improved their quality control with optical construction which point and shoots are notorious for having lens "lottery" just like computer chips can be.

That said, I do have to give full disclosure, my former theories about optical performance of this lens are proving true. I figured it wouldn't be quite as sharp as say dedicate EF-M lenses, this is proving true. Not quite, but it's very close, but for having a camera this small, you do have to compromise somewhere, and Canon's done and excellent job getting something this small, this powerful. It is, by far, the best Powershot image quality I've seen to date, that is it's definitely "superior" to 1" offerings, no doubt. But, if you're thinking of jumping ship from say the M series thinking you're not going to loose anything, it's not a complete free lunch, I might think twice as you loose both lens swaps, and some IQ. In my opinion, it's worth the tradeoff if you're looking for a highly portable solution like I was, and have finally found "the one". I have zero regrets about selling off my now former M5 and EF-M lenses as this is a much better camera for me and I'm impressed thus far. The IQ, meets "the bar" I have, with a bit to spare.

Also my wife, she hasn't made a peep. She smiles at the output this thing produces, vs my former G1X II, oh man, she was harping on it, and me for buying it. Same with the original EOS M, it made gorgeous shots, but missed so many with it's slow AF. We finally have a winner here for the wife's bar too.

Moving onto technicals...

I noted my former EF-M 22mm f/2 STM somehow mysteriously got smudges on the lens easily, don't ask me how, they just happen. The lens hood for it, cured 90% of it's occurrence. This lens is a smudge magnet too, although I have never noted it impacting the IQ yet, I've wiped the lens twice now, and am considering the lens hood both for protection against hostile things, and smudges.

The fully articulating screen is growing on me despite my initial misgivings as my former tilty on the M5 was faster to deploy; the fully articulating screen is more handy, particularly with touch and drag implementation as you can swing it out, and use non-realitve touch and drag without accidentally touching it with your nose, and, the left hand doubles as addition stabilization for holding the camera. I'm still getting used to it. I've assigned the focus button to turning touch and drag on and off both for using it in said fashion, but also because the camera is smaller, having it on all the time does result in accidentally touching the screen, even with limiting it's scope like I did on the M5 to just the bottom right of the screen.

2nd night tonight, still no shutter lag; Canon has officially "cured" it.

I noted when the camera turns off, it not only retracts the lens, but also either invokes the ND filter, or something else to protect the sensor in case you don't cap it. The 22mm pancake would retract and drop to f-stop "shut", like f/22 or something like that to minimize risk to the sensor on EOS M cameras. Appears this camera has something similar going on.

I still have the manual focus ring in front of the lens disabled; it's assigned to smooth zoom by default, I may turn it back on and try it for zooming going forward. Will report more later on this; I do like the default zoom button though traditionally present on power shots for zooming though, so some bias here to overcome, or not

Noise reduction is strong, too strong, in some cases; I've dialed back the luminance noise reduction on the last shot as it was crushing details. I tried dialing back the chroma too, but the chroma noise is strong at high ISOs.

Once again, appears Canon is getting more heavy handed here is the theme; stronger sharpness (appears picture profiles on this camera have sharpness moved up +1 across the board), noise reduction is stronger, and contrast is a bit "hot". I can't emphasis enough, I highly recommend using RAW, or if SOOC JPEG, use a custom picture style and be ready to correct some individual images. Canon still "easy" to process and pleasing results, but, more intervention is required to get it.

Overall very positive impressions with the camera. Very few complaints actually. I'd categorize the ones I have, as minor. Major complaints like performance or image quality, I really can't say this thing has a "problem" for what it is. I think Canon's done it right on this one, so does my wife, and that's important, cause if the wife ain't happy, nobody is...

AI servo demo

AI Servo demo

Luminance noise correction reduced from 14 to 8 (to prevent details getting crushed)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
YWG
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow