Any Adobe Illustrator Users here? I am surprised even this application requires a powerful GPU @_@

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
traderjay Regular Member • Posts: 118
Any Adobe Illustrator Users here? I am surprised even this application requires a powerful GPU @_@

I was having major performance issues with Adobe Illustrator CC 2017 to 2018 (latest update). It is so bad that the experience is similar to running windows without VGA drivers back in the XP days. Every selection, zoom and transformation takes 5+ seconds to complete. I work with alot of complex EPS vector diagrams.

Spending hours with adobe tech support didn't resolve anything, disabling GPU acceleration kinda helped but slows down the workflow. My single socket system is very powerful XEON E5-2696V3 with 32GB of RAM and SSD OS/Application Drive.

The GPU is the GTX 1050 ti connected to a Dell 4K Display and I never suspected that it was the cause of all my problems until I opened the updated task manager with GPU monitor. I saw that the GPU memory is nearly always utilized whenever I have the images open and suspected that the card is causing all the issues.

I borrowed a Titan X Pascal from a friend to do some testing and bam...all performance issue solved. I still have a hard time believing a 2D application is causing the GPU to choke out ....

-- hide signature --

Workstation - DUAL XEON E5-2696v4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | Triple NEC PA301W | Crucial 64GB DDR4 ECC PC2400 | ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVME
FreeNAS & Plex Server - Intel XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ1

traderjay's gear list:traderjay's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Phase One Capture One Pro DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow