16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
sullivanrp
sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: Different Uses

Grenn1e wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

Thanks for the great reply. We ended up in the same conclusion and I'm still a bit undecided. I'm glad I still got time to decide on this (quite busy working atm and the next trip is going to be in January or so).

If I end up thinking that f/2.8 doesn't really make a difference against f/4 (and I should always carry at least a small 50ish lens on my pocket for casual portraits) then the 12-24 steps into a game as well and makes this decision even more difficult. Would probably be really good lens for some interior photography I also do quite often.

I'm mainly a prime shooter. Not a pixel peeper at all (even if i have the A7rll) but I love how prime makes me really think about my composition and also like fast lenses and possibility for short dof. I also like extreme wide angles. That being said I'm also considering forgetting the zoom and use that money for other things. For the price of the GM I could pretty much get:

- 35/1.4 for portrait shoots, weddings, events, bands etc. with my 85 Batis

- 21 converter for my 28/2 as a travel combo. Had this one on loan some time ago and really liked it. Image quality was ok for me. Those two on A7rll was like a prime shooters wide-angle zoom without the extreme.

- Voigtländer 10mm or 12mm f/5.6. Small and lightweight to throw in a bag and extreme when you need it. On the crop mode they're more subtle superwide.

And yes, I know Barcelona is famous for it's theft problem and the same thing is happening in many cities with lots of tourists. Usually you can get away with some common sense. But that was one of the reasons to wanna have a one lens solution so I would only need to take care of my camera and not a camera and a bag.

So at this stage I have made myself many options: ......

I think you always will be curious as to what the other side is like, even when you have everything, the second you don't have that one lens with you, you seem to regret it haha.

FWIW - I came from a 16-35 2.8, 35 1.4, and 70-200 2.8 with canon - and I felt that really covered ALL of my needs, both when I had 2 camera bodies and just one. For me mid-range didn't matter so much, but that is because I prefer a 35mm fast prime over a 50. Granted the 16-35mm 2.8 canon (mk II) wasn't as expensive as the GM, so that made the choice easy. For portraits I rarely used the 16-35. the 35 at 1.4 was just too nice, even non-environmental stuff, just to get a different rendering and look, especially couple portraits.

In regards to the 12-24, I can probably count on one hand the times in the last 5 years of doing events, photojournalism, and sports work primarily, that I felt I needed wider than 16mm. For a couple random astro shots or unique fisheye looks. But if you can justify the interior shots then may be worth it, otherwise you have the 14mm astro. I think a 16-35 f/4 and a 35 1.4 would be a really good combo keeping the 14mm for astro. Then as you use the lenses more you could decide if you really miss/need the 2.8 before figuring out how to switch/acquire more gear.

Regarding walk-around. It's always hard to say. Again I think you just miss whatever lens you don't bring if you want a one-lens solution. And you just have to come to grips with it. When I switched to Sony I got the small, subtle but quite good 35mm 2.8. It was inexpensive and I wanted something subtle for street photography paired with a mirrorless. It takes some getting used to, to accept that you wont get certain shots because you limited yourself to one focal length. But it is also very rewarding when you succeed and forces you to shoot differently.

Again, I am no help. Just more food for thought with this conversation

- Ryan

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow