Which UHS-II card(s) for G9? GH5?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brentbrent Senior Member • Posts: 2,885
Which UHS-II card(s) for G9? GH5?

I'm confused about high speed SD cards.

I've pre-ordered a G9, it comes with dual card slots that are both UHS-II rated, and Panasonic recommends that you use two identical cards (type, capacity, speed) in those two slots.

Richard Wong states in his review, "When testing with a Panasonic 64GB v90 card, I could easily get 100+ RAW files before the shooting speed drops when shooting at 12fps burst speed." One of DPR's articles about the G9 also spoke about using a "V-rated" card.

So apparently fast cards are advisable to take advantage of the G9's capabilities (presumably GH5 as well), for still bursts and maybe for videos.  My inclination is to buy cards that meet the G9's capabilities.

After reading Richard Wong's review, I googled "Panasonic V90 SD card," and I came up with this 128GB card for $499! http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/camera-and-camcorder-accessories/camera-accessories/sd-microsd-cards/RP-SDZA128AK.html#start=1&cgid=sd-microsd-cards

Two of those would be $1,000- OUCH!!

Now, the specs for that Panasonic card state, "UHS II SDXC, V90 90MB/sec., 280MB/Sec. Read, 250 MB/Sec. Write, Class 3 (U3) and Class 10 Compatible." Seven different ratings for one lousy SD card!

Meanwhile, B&H is offering a two-pack of the same size Sandisk cards for $431, less than half the price of the Panasonic. The info on those cards does not mention any "V" rating at all, but in all other respects it appears equal to or better than the Panasonic:

• UHS-II / U3 / Class 10
  • Max. Read Speed: 300 MB/s
  • Max. Write Speed: 260 MB/s

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1347357-REG/sandisk_128gb_extreme_pro_uhs_ii.html

Putting aside any issue about size of card (128GB vs. 64 vs. 32 vs. 16), I'd welcome any educational comments from those more knowledgeable than I.  And in particular, do the Sandisk cards meet or exceed the "V90" rating of the Panasonic cards?

Are cards of this rating (and expense) necessary to match the G9's speed, or are there some less expensive cards that would do just as well.  I fully understand the concept of wasting money on cards that are faster than what your camera can handle.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow