Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
Day two... (thus far + daytime samples)

Things I've learned thus far...

Be careful what samples you post; you'll get critique

Live, learn, move on... Moving on.

The "manual focus" ring in front of the lens is uber sensitive; I've disabled it's usage on all modes.

I've assigned the focus button to touch and drag enable/disable

The defaults of the G1X III are more 5DIII-ish; that is the camera strikes a better balance between shutter and noise, in my opinion. As the samples last night show though, you need to override that as although it provides excellent noise reduction, at the expense of motion blur.

The AF is still worth writing about today, again.

I've noted AI servo, which I was highly dependent upon during the first half of my shooting today, although much better, and the live tracking is more dependable than my former M5, it's not bullet proof. Slight shifts in focus do exist when using servo; I noted it on my former M5 and prefer single shot mode; I'm dialing back to that again, or, using smooth zone / single point for more accurate results with AI servo. Some of my shots last night reflect it as well. It's minor, but it's there. Canon's improved their AF as a whole, but, it's still not perfect. Pretty impressive in my book though.

My wife picked up the camera today (yay!) and her first comment was how light it is, "it's as light as my old camera!", I smiled (maybe she'll use it, instead of her iPhone while I'm away)...

I've got further thoughts, but, I need a nap, low on sleep today and the babies just went down for their naps. Here's some samples in the meantime...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
YWG
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow