***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Nov 19th - 25th***

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
craig66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,355
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Nov 19th - 25th***

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I always enjoy seeing your unusual finds from down under. The wallaby and spider are my favs this week. Do you carry both the 500mm & 150mm macro at the same time? Both great lenses, but a pretty heavy set of gear to be packing around together.

I didn't have to carry my gear too far for these. They were all shot in what is basically the back yard. I'm staying at my brother's place for a while. There's about 10 acres. A plant nursery and the two houses take up about a third and the rest is native bushland. The wallabies come visiting in the morning and afternoon sometimes looking for the best grass. There is also a big old Eastern Grey Kangaroo. There's also ticks and (very rarely) venomous snakes. There used to be koalas here, but sadly the ever expanding urban sprawl is taking it's toll. Koalas were once abundant in South East Queensland. They are now listed as a vulnerable species.

And, yes the kit is a lot to lug around and an RX 10 IV is looking very attractive, especially as there are many bush walking opportunities in a number of national parks that are within easy travelling distance. I couldn't possibly carry the heavy gear.

Here's a kingfisher I shot yesterday from just outside the back door. A pair is showing interest in nesting in an old termite nest. They moved on for a while, possibly because of kookaburras. The kookas have now gone and the kingfishers are back.

Sacred kingfisher

craig66's gear list:craig66's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow