Gold Award for A7R3 from DPReview!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,524
90%

The bad news is that I had, have and will have a problem with DPReview’s overall numeric camera assessment. Admittedly they have a right to their opinion but this score could adversely affect the decision making process of someone not intimately familiar with their process. For one thing, that ‘grade’ obfuscates distinguishing one model camera from another as time passes. The a7RIII is a significant step up from the a7RII in all but image quality yet they both have a score of 90%. I understand the time factor but does everyone? That ‘grade’ also obfuscates the distinguishing characteristics within one model by weighing features that mean nothing to some potential buyers. Video is an obvious example because it has its own category but there are potentially ‘trendy’ feature sets that might or might not weigh hidden in other categories. As an example, the feature de jour might be some combination of GPS, dual card slots, apps or intervalometers.

The good news is that I believe they always do a great job everywhere else in the review.

While I have a fat paragraph on the rant and a skinny one on the good news… the fact that DPreview did, does and will do a stellar job on their reviews is the only thing of real substance. Kudos on another substantive camera assessment.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow