Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 vs Canon 16-35mm f/4 IS

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,539
The FE 16-35mm f/4 is a great lens

Here's a comparison of lab tests from Lens Rentals of the Sony vs the Canon and Nikon equivalents. All three are very good lenses apparently.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/06/sony-fe-16-35-f4-sony-fe-24-70mm-f4-zoom-mtf-and-variance/

In conclusion: "Overall we’d have to say the Sony has the best MTF at the 16mm, particularly at higher frequencies, while the Canon is a bit better at 35mm. The Nikon is at its best at 16mm but doesn’t hold up quite as well at longer zoom ranges. The Sony, as all Sony shooters have come to expect, is more expensive than the other two, although not hugely more. In this case, though, it’s at least as good, and in some areas better, than the others. It’s a really good lens."

I seem to have a good copy of the FE 16-35mm f/4 and while it is indeed perceptibly softest at 35mm... I would class it as excellent at 35mm and superb everywhere else for a zoom.

The first day I had it I went out and shot all day wide open at f4.0 because that is typically the worst it will be. Here's an example at 35mm. You can see the framing and fabric detail at radially 'near edge' distance from the center. Unfortunately JPeg compression tends to kill some delicate detail. It's also handheld at ISO 640...not on a tripod at ISO 100.  Whatever...this is a bad as it gets with this lens:

You need to view this at original size at 100% details

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow