Why did you choose Nikon ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ArthurMeursault
ArthurMeursault Regular Member • Posts: 312
Why did you choose Nikon ?

Long history - 1980s, Canon AE1, 1990s Leica M3 and Contax bodies with a complete set of C/Y Zeiss primes and varios, some Canon powershots when digital first came out, and eventually the Sony NEX7.  I liked the fact I could adapt any lens to it but soon began to find some fault with my older glass, mainly in the CA and lack of AF.

Around that time, I was a Lloyd subscriber and the inaccuracy of setting an f-stop using a Canon lens on a dumb adapter led me to pick Nikon f-mounts as I began to accumulate FF lenses in the anticipated eventuality of going with Nikon.

I bought the A7r when it first came out and for a year mocked D800 users as the live view was a disaster in my view.

But when the D810 came out, a friend that had one and I challenged each other to a shootout using our Zeiss 135mm Apo-Sonnars.

I had my test shots done in under 30 seconds using the EVF, magnification and delayed shutter on a tripod while he struggled with his Nikon, monkeying with the live view, using a loupe, and trying to trip the shutter without any vibration.  He was still unfamiliar with the camera.

But when we exchanged files later, I was shocked how much better the Nikon's shots were than the Sony.

Sony's 11+7 BS creates several problems, banding, artifacts, poor shadow recovery, bad transitions and magenta pixel insertion (my theory is part of their algorithm to break up banding)

Last night I used my D850 to make some incredible video using the Otus 28mm, it's a heavy rig but provides amazing results.  Almost cinematic straight out of the camera.

I have an A6000 which has great XAVCs video, a Panasonic 4k, the Sony X-3000 4k and they each have their place but I still need a mirrorless FF camera that can do what the A7rii appears to do.

Hoping Nikon comes out with one soon so I can sell off nearly a thousand dollars worth of Sony to (various) Novoflex adapters.

The choice of going Nikon has never been a regret for me.  The lens selection is awesome, Nikon keeps raising the game with resolution, DR and features.  Like many, I cringe when I see Canon's DR charts and think what poor saps to be stuck in that infrastructure.

I originally chose Nikon because I could accurately set f-stops with ZF2 lenses vs the ZE lenses.  I switched from Sony to Nikon because the IQ was superior.   The only thing missing from Nikon is an EVF implementation like Sony's.

So how did you end up as a Nikon user ?

-- hide signature --

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally."

ArthurMeursault's gear list:ArthurMeursault's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Canon EOS M3 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow