Why did you choose Nikon ?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ArthurMeursault
ArthurMeursault Regular Member • Posts: 312
Why did you choose Nikon ?

Long history - 1980s, Canon AE1, 1990s Leica M3 and Contax bodies with a complete set of C/Y Zeiss primes and varios, some Canon powershots when digital first came out, and eventually the Sony NEX7.  I liked the fact I could adapt any lens to it but soon began to find some fault with my older glass, mainly in the CA and lack of AF.

Around that time, I was a Lloyd subscriber and the inaccuracy of setting an f-stop using a Canon lens on a dumb adapter led me to pick Nikon f-mounts as I began to accumulate FF lenses in the anticipated eventuality of going with Nikon.

I bought the A7r when it first came out and for a year mocked D800 users as the live view was a disaster in my view.

But when the D810 came out, a friend that had one and I challenged each other to a shootout using our Zeiss 135mm Apo-Sonnars.

I had my test shots done in under 30 seconds using the EVF, magnification and delayed shutter on a tripod while he struggled with his Nikon, monkeying with the live view, using a loupe, and trying to trip the shutter without any vibration.  He was still unfamiliar with the camera.

But when we exchanged files later, I was shocked how much better the Nikon's shots were than the Sony.

Sony's 11+7 BS creates several problems, banding, artifacts, poor shadow recovery, bad transitions and magenta pixel insertion (my theory is part of their algorithm to break up banding)

Last night I used my D850 to make some incredible video using the Otus 28mm, it's a heavy rig but provides amazing results.  Almost cinematic straight out of the camera.

I have an A6000 which has great XAVCs video, a Panasonic 4k, the Sony X-3000 4k and they each have their place but I still need a mirrorless FF camera that can do what the A7rii appears to do.

Hoping Nikon comes out with one soon so I can sell off nearly a thousand dollars worth of Sony to (various) Novoflex adapters.

The choice of going Nikon has never been a regret for me.  The lens selection is awesome, Nikon keeps raising the game with resolution, DR and features.  Like many, I cringe when I see Canon's DR charts and think what poor saps to be stuck in that infrastructure.

I originally chose Nikon because I could accurately set f-stops with ZF2 lenses vs the ZE lenses.  I switched from Sony to Nikon because the IQ was superior.   The only thing missing from Nikon is an EVF implementation like Sony's.

So how did you end up as a Nikon user ?

-- hide signature --

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally."

ArthurMeursault's gear list:ArthurMeursault's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Canon EOS M3 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow