APS-C to MFT - a reasonable choice?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AaronGun New Member • Posts: 12
APS-C to MFT - a reasonable choice?

Another "should I switch" thread.  I've been lurking on the site for several years.  I've read through the multiple threads on this topic, but needing reassurance I'm not making a mistake.

I'm an amateur enthusiast, shooting mostly family gatherings, kids activities, etc...  I bought into the Sony Alpha system way back with the a700.  Currently shooting on an a77ii using mainly 70-200/2.8, 85/1.4 and 35/1.4.  I've been able to get fantastic shots with these, particularly of my daughters' dance classes, which has become my favorite activity to shoot.  I now usually shoot the entire performances as there are multiple families that ask me for shots.

Last spring I rented a FF sony for her spring recital and the pictures were even better as I could drop the ISO and the AF was much faster.  However, a new FF is $4k+ and I only really need it for her studios' big spring recital.  I can rent a FF and fast glass for <$300 for those 2 days, so I can't justify the purchase.

My issue is I find I don't bring the system with as often as I could because it's big and heavy.  The 70-200/2.8 is a great lens, but it's not small and light.  Even the best camera won't be of use if it's at home, so I've been looking into MFT.  I picked up a g85 recently during amazon's black friday deals and have been playing around with it.  So far it performs well even with the kit lens and it's much easier to bring with given the small form factor.

I know MFT aren't the best choices for low-light or sports, but looking on the forum it seems users are getting very good shots of both.  I'd need to pick up some fast glass, but if I sell my alpha gear I can easier afford that.  Plus I'd be more likely to use the camera more as I'd be bringing it with, given the better portability.  Lastly, for the recital where I'd need better low-light performance, I can rent for a fraction of what the FF costs.

Does this sound reasonable?  or am I setting myself up for disappointment.

Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow