PS or C1/LR & jpeg vs raw

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
terryreid
terryreid Contributing Member • Posts: 754
PS or C1/LR & jpeg vs raw

I save RAW +jpeg in my cameras.

I have always opened my files in PS raw editor and performed a few edits then open in PS to do the rest. Even when I open the jpeg version since they usually look better in the thumbnails in Adobe Bridge or C1 I will go back to the more limited raw editor at times to do a couple things.

If one is profecient in PS what are the main benefits for C1 or LR since it appears that most do their edits in one of these versus PS?

Secondly which I first really noticed with the A9 superior jpeg engine and many comments on DPReview if the jpeg looks very good which all of them have better color out of the camera. What is wrong with using jpegs and why go to all the worlk on a raw image just to make it look like the out of the camera jpeg?

Most of my images are properly exposed and only require a resize a touch of vibrance or saturation, sometimes smart sharpen and  a burn or dodge here or there and I always check auto tone and auto color too but not a lot of pp.

Why then should I add extra steps to get the color right? I understand not disturbing the original and I guess you can figure out presets so the RAW files will open with better color but before I spend too much time learning C1 and reaching out to more experienced members for advice and clarification.

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +12 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow