Airlander: Ups and Downs

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
GeoffreyHP New Member • Posts: 11
Airlander: Ups and Downs

Living only four miles from the historic Cardington sheds,  we have seen the Airlander occasionally.  A few weeks ago,  it was on the ground in a more accessible position,  so I took some photos.  As my F31fd is away on sub-acqua duties,  the X-S1 came into its own.

It was just floating at this stage. The size can be judged from the ground crew.

I delayed sending these shots until my upload speed was increased to 9Mb/s.

Then,  last Friday,  it appeared virtually overhead on a test flight.

So far, so good.  It was quite distressing to learn that it had come to grief  on the net day.

Apparently,  it had broken from its mooring mast, at which a safety mechanism took over automatically,  which rapidly deflates the envelope - better than allowing this beast to wander across UK airspace unattended.  As may be seen from the next picture, the damage is rather more extensive,  which must pose questions about its future.

All photos were cropped and gently enhanced in PSPX8.

As I was "invited" to join the R.A.F. adjacent to this site many years ago,  (the hutted encampment area has been built on) it's a bit surreal to see these developments,  the "sheds" (not hangars, please) are used for filming - currently a remake of Dumbo I understand.  Geoff Pickerell

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow