Parents of toddlers - what gear do you use?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PRS CU24 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Parents of toddlers - what gear do you use?

Hi all,

My primary use for my camera is taking pictures and videos of my 17 month old boy

One major reason for me to choose the Sony system was that it seemed like the best system for this use: good AF, good video, & good low light performance

Before my boy started walking/running/zipping around, I was very satisfied with my a5100 + sigma 30mm 1.4 or 2.8 combo

However, as he has become a LOT more mobile, it's become a lot more difficult to use non-OSS lenses, especially for video

I've now reverted back to the kit lens, which does an okay job, but I often miss the IQ of the pictures I took with my primes before

So I've recently become interested in either getting an a6500 (for IBIS) or the 16-70 f4 (for OSS)

The a6500 would theoretically allow me to use prime lenses more (although I found the zoom function to be very helpful in shooting videos of a toddler), while the 16-70 would hopefully lead to better IQ. But then I read that the a6500 IBIS isn't really good at ironing out movement while walking and the 16-70 f4 quality control is pretty bad...

While thinking about these things I was curious about what gears other parents use to take photos & videos of their toddlers. I was also curious if anyone wanted to share their experience or give tips/advice

A couple things to note:

- I often have to hold my boy around and so I can't carry around anything larger than the 16-70

- For the same reason, I don't have the capacity to carry a gimbal around

- For the same reason, I'm trying to stick to an a6XXX body at most

Sony a5100 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow