Back from a week at Bosque del Apache with the RX10iv

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stephen Ingraham Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
Back from a week at Bosque del Apache with the RX10iv

I am home from a long trip which included a week at the Fesitval of the Cranes at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, winter home to about 4000 Sandhill Cranes when I was there (up to 14,000 before long) and 6-10,000 Snow Geese (20-25,000 by the time they all arrive). Birds in flight heaven. You get everything from family groups of cranes to mass snow geese panics when 2000 or more geese leap into the air and swirl overhead for 10 minutes at a time. I learned a lot about BIFs with the Sony RX10iv...but mostly what I learned is that it is, for the first time with any sort of fixed lens bridge or enthusiast’s camera, easy! Yes I said easy. The lock on auto focus works and works well. There are occasional glitches as there will be with any system, but you can reliably track focus on flying birds and birds in action with great results.

A few samples linked from my Smugmug gallery.

Straight BIF shot at 600mm, panning with the bird.

High ISO action. Looks messy at large magnifications, but very satisfying at reasonable viewing size.

Coming head on. 600mm.

One of the things I learned was to lock the metering spot to the focal spot, and to use +.3 to +.7 EV and even higher when the birds were against the blue sky.

Again, tracking on oncoming bird.

Works in low light after sunset.

Crop at 600mm for action in good light

Backlight.

Tracking against a confusing background.

distant panic at 600mm

close panic at 600mm

classic cranes and geese against the sunset...actually an in-camera HDR.

You can see the whole gallery here .

BIF settings used here:

Program mode.

ISO min SS: 1000th

Center spot lock on focus

For most of them: metering spot locked to focus spot

Auto ISO

Pre Focus on

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony Alpha NEX-3N +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow