What size zoom. Limited space?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brisn5757 Regular Member • Posts: 484
What size zoom. Limited space?

One thing I've learn from these forums is that you need to supply a lot of info so readers understand you better and are able to reply.

In my case I will be going on a tour of Great Britain which limits me to having a carry on bag of 30 x 28 x 14 cm so it will fit under the seat and a weight of 7kg when traveling on a plane. So I can't bring my DSLR Canon 70D with 18-135mm lens.

Also as I'm on a tour I need to be able to photograph things from the window of a moving coach. When the coach stops there is usually only 10 mins to take photos from what I'm told.

So the more compact the camera is the better. I could carry the camera on a strap around my neck but as long as its not too heavy and the lens don't protude too far.

I also hope to take photos in London while staying there for a week. Mainly museums and buildibgs. There are sone places were a camera is not allowed so I would need to fit my camera in my bag or jacket pocket. The bag would have my water bottle, unbrella and a warm jersey, so not much room for extra camera  gear (see bag size above)

I'm trying to work out what I might photograph that would require a large zoom of 30x. Maybe a 10x zoom is enough for most things. I hope to record sone video with the camera so a 10x or more zoom could be useful.

I also hope to take photos at a zoo in Sjngapore so I may need a larger zoom than 3x.

My main subjects will be landscape, famous buildings, inside museums and famous buildings.

I welcome any suggestions to what zoom power and type of canera that would suit me.

At the moment I'm considering the Panasonic TZ100(ZS100) which has a 10x zoom and a 1 inch sensor but its a expensive camera. There is also the TZ90 but with a 1/2.3 sensor and 30x zoom.

The other requirements is a camera with a viewfinder and full manual controls so I can boost the iso if I need to increase the shutter speed in low light conditions.

Someone suggested the TZ70 which has a 1/2.3 12 megapixel sensor. 30x zoom.

I am considering all makes of compact cameras.

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow