Rebuilding a full frame kit

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
porsche997 Contributing Member • Posts: 829
Rebuilding a full frame kit

I just replaced my worn out 50D with a 5D mkIV that I was lucky to pick it up in the October 15% off refurbished sale. I recently sold off my EFS 17-55 and 10-22, and am looking to rebuild a full frame kit.

I still have the EF 85 1.8 which has performed beautifully so far on the 5D. Next step is a standard zoom, I rented a 24-70 f/4 which I loved. The full frame FOV of it is good enough to replace the range of the 17-55 and 10-22 for now. But, 24-70 prices aren't great right now, so I'm holding out for another refurb sale or better holiday rebates.

I am interested in adding a fast wide prime when the 24-70 f/4 isn't fast enough. I'm stuck on deciding between the 40mm pancake and 35 f/2 IS. I've used the 50 1.8 and 1.4 before, and wasn't happy with the wide open results or build quality.

I see the only benefits of the 40mm are cheaper cost and portability. Uses of the prime would be for  occasional full portraits, indoor static low light, and lighter travelling without a zoom . I don't do indoor sport shooting anymore. Budget around $1000-1200 which would ideally cover the 24-70 f/4 and fast prime in a refurb sale.

Thanks for any input, and for those who might have had experience with these lenses.

porsche997's gear list:porsche997's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow