Upsizing an image for printing via 3rd party website?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
creativedogmedia
creativedogmedia Regular Member • Posts: 152
Upsizing an image for printing via 3rd party website?

I am considering a move from SmugMug to PhotoDeck...I love everything about PhotoDeck EXCEPT the fact that they dont allow cropping in the shopping cart which means they're limiting the sizes of prints that I can sell to my clients. The response from the founder of PhotoDeck was:

"To guarantee a minimun quality to your customers, the basic requirement is that the resulting print should be at least of 150 dpi (300 dpi being the standard for e.g. magazines).

So for a 40"-wide print, that means 40 x 150 = 6000 pixels on the longest side.

Of course, quality is subjective, and if you feel that your customers would be happy with a print of lower resolution than 150 dpi, you can always upsize the images prior to uploading (using specialized software if possible), and this way you also get a better control on the upsizing quality than blindly submitting a "small" file to the lab."

To be clear, their support (while email only) has been pretty good. After speaking with WHCC directly (one of the vendors PhotoDeck provides as an option for print fulfillment), they were also scratching their head. They would have no issue with printing images up to 30x40. Here are the image details that I used in the example to the founder:

Photo size: 15.1 Mpixels (43.3 MB uncompressed) - 4493x3365 pixels (14.9x11.2 in / 38.0x28.5 cm at 300 dpi)

Am I missing something or is this just a case of them simply not wanting to offer this for some reason?

creativedogmedia's gear list:creativedogmedia's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow