M5 vs M Colors

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Greg Edwards Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: ... try the 'FINE DETAIL' setting...

Lightgreen wrote:

DNG and Picture profiles both share a XML-like structure, however, they're likely incompatible as they probably have differing baselines; I've never compared the two though, maybe they are similar? Hmm. Probably not.

Agreed, highly unlikely the raw XML data will be compatible. I was thinking more along the lines of creating the DNG profile, and manually copying the affected HSL information from DNG Profile editor across to Picture Style Editor.

I have RAWs from my former 5DIII, M3 and M5 in archives I could sample from. However, I don't have a similar baseline shot of reference like IR does for each, which I'd need if I made a picture profile "from scratch" which is what you're describing. And perhaps, that's the best way.

I was just going to use IR's RAW target images. Sure, the M3 target hasn't been taken with 'my' camera or lens, but for my needs, it'll be close enough. If I use the Picture Style editor tools, or even Photoshop to sample with, this should remove any human perception influence.

I should be able to open say the 5DmkIII raw, sample each of the target's colour chips, then enter this information into a new picture style using the M3 raw version. In theory this should get me closer to the 5D colours using my M3.

I prefer more mechanical approaches though of adapting existing baselines if possible to avoid any human perception influence as things like color science are just that, a science. They're artistic too...

Absolutely. As a musician and graphic designer, I know this all too well.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow