Weird Results- Two Tamron 28-75 f2.8 on 7D2 and 500D

Started Nov 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GreatWhiteWing Contributing Member • Posts: 616
Weird Results- Two Tamron 28-75 f2.8 on 7D2 and 500D

Daughter uses a rebel 500D and I have a 7D2. We both have a 28-75 f2.8 Tamron lens. My zoom is older than hers by serial number, by quite a bit so I am calling it the older lens.

I did testing using both bodies and both lenses. tested at 28mm, 50mm and 75mm each at f2.8, 5.6, 11 and 32. No AF microadjustments, no filters. So 48 total pics. I compared same lens on different bodies and different different lenses on same body. Used a tripod with wireless remote release, aperture priority with ISO 800 (on both bodies) and let shutter speed vary. Light stayed pretty consistent throughout.

In almost every case the older zoom performed better on the 7D2 and conversely the NEWER 28-75 performed better on the Rebel T1i (500D). There were a few rare exceptions maybe due to miss-focus and a few ties in my testing but the trend was undeniable.

The OTHER curious thing was the newer zoom lens on 7D2 reported as a Tamron SP 28-75 ONLY on 28mm with exif data using LR. As soon I went to 50mm it simply reported as 28-75, with the manufacturer data dropping off? I thought that was pretty weird also. Both lenses at all settings on 500D reported simply 28-75 lens.

The older lens benefited further by a -7 AF microadjustment on the wide side only, tele is spot on. The newer lens indicated no adjustments were required and since the 7D2 couldn't tell the difference I can only adjust for one.

Also the newer lens is quite a bit blacker in exterior color than my older one.

BTW those are pretty decent everyday lenses you can get used for $200

Another thread I may discuss my AF microadjustment set up.

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow