ISSYK-KUL Lake at dusk (pano)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967
ISSYK-KUL Lake at dusk (pano)

Issyk-Kul (for those who don't know) is in Kyrgyzstan, and is the second largest mountain lake worldwide (182 km long and 60 km max wide). It is also one of the deepest (668 m).

We spent a couple of days there during out tour of Central Asia (along the Silk Road!). A good place for hiking (Tian-Shan mountains all around) and also for swimming (well, for those who enjoy swimming in icy water - e.g Russian tourists).

We got a comfortable apartment in a modern resort at Cholpon-Ata on the northern shore. The only problem were with the restaurant: no menu - they just put on your table the food they like cooking (usually: onion soup and an impervious steak with cabbage). You can ask the smiling waitress for a couple of boiled eggs, or simply some salt, or a clean spoon - her reply will always be "Я не знаю" (tr.: I don't know!).

This pano is made of 6 frames taken after sunset from a long pier on the lake, and covers 140° width x 70° height. - used circular projection in HUGIN - 21 MP original size - and resulted one of the trickiest panos I ever stitched:

Lake Issyk-Kul from Chalpon-Ata at dusk

The main problem, of course, were the waves! This is the best result I got using the blending and masking tools. Of course it could be refined manually, using clone brushes...

And I know that PTGui would offer the option of a layered PSD output, that would help a lot!

Comments, thoughts and suggestions welcome, as usual.

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow