16-35 ZA vs GM for environmenal portraits?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,685
Re: Barcelona ?!

kamituel wrote:

Anadrol wrote:

Grenn1e wrote:

for walking around cities like Barcelona etc.

If I were you, I wouldn't carry any expensive gear in Barcelona !

World's capital of thieves... (no offense for Spanish people, it's not them who steal...).

Not to walk with an expensive lens? Sure, Barcelona has a problem with theft, like many places, especially the ones with so many tourists. But it's not worse than some other touristy cities. Not to bring some gear sounds paranoid. And it's coming from a guy whose wallet was inches away from being stolen in Barcelona once, and who later came back a few times bringing some pricey gear along

Just look out for your gear, don't leave it unattended, and use common sense.

My only recommendation after spending a week and half there is to limit your self to one camera body and one lens while walking around so you don't have to put things down to change lenses. For me a 24-105 or its equivalent was the solution I went with. Today I might take the 16-35/2.8 and the 55/1.8 or the 85/1.8. Make the second lens small so you can keep it tucked away out of site and not some big camera bag.  Small lenses like he Loxias are also a good choice if you can work with MF.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow