Is D750 worth upgrading to?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LarvaeOP
LarvaeOP Junior Member • Posts: 35
Is D750 worth upgrading to?

Hi guys, I am currently using a D7200 which I bought in March this year. I have noticed the D750 is going for cheap on eBay and am tempted to make the move. However, I am not sure whether the D750 is still worth upgrading to, especially given I would need to sell my Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 lenses, which I really love. On the whole, FX lenses just seem to hell lot more expensive.

As I am still relatively new to photography (only been learning for a year), I haven't really 'found my calling' in a particular type of photography, though I find myself doing mostly environmental portrait and landscape. More recently I started to dig street photography and learning off-camera flash, which I also find really enjoyable.

My biggest beef with the current D7200 is the really lackluster AF. The AF coverage is bad and I find the AF to be very inaccurate when the subject is moving. The lack of a tilt screen also makes shooting at low angle really awkward. The lowlight performance is also worse than what I had hoped form when I saw Nikon's ads that heavily emphasised the camera's lowlight performance. I have previously resisted switching to FX format due to costs concern and kept being told 'your camera doesn't matter'.

I am curious to hear what you guys think about this. The main reason I am still tossing up the decision is that I would really miss my Sigma lenses, not to mention the depreciation costs. Should I hold out a bit more and wait for the D750 price to keep coming down? Does FX format really offer that much of an improvement over DX in terms of low light performance and image quality? Would I be able to find replacements for my Sigma lenses (i.e. sharp, affordable, and has AF)?

LarvaeOP's gear list:LarvaeOP's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Nikon D7200 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
9ck
9ck
9ck
9ck
9ck
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow