What size zoom did you need for most subjects when traveling overseas

Started Nov 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
Mika Y.
Mika Y. Contributing Member • Posts: 881
Re: What size zoom did you need for most subjects when traveling overseas

Brisn5757 wrote:

I started a thread called 3x and 30x zoom camera.

In this thread I'm hoping to find out what zoom lens people on trips overseas and on tours found useful that covered most subjects.

I'm thinking that a 10x zoom should cover most subjects and I'd only need a 30x zoom if I had something at a great distance to photograph and then at 30x the quality may not be that great as there can be distortion due to the hot air

On my last couple of vacation trips to UK/Ireland I typically have had the 16-35mm and 100-560mm ranges covered, with a 50mm prime lens as a bonus (and a fast ultrawide prime if it's not midsummer and there's hope of some starry nightscapes). This has been quite enough for almost anything that I come across in cities as well as while walking around in the nature or being on some boat tour etc.

However, it really depends on what you are going to do and what kind of stuff you want to photograph; something like a nice generic 24-105mm range may well be all you need and is easily available via both compact cameras as well as with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras and a single lens.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow