sd9 - Foveon Newbie Advice?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bisonbison
Bisonbison Regular Member • Posts: 119
sd9 - Foveon Newbie Advice?

Hello all,

I've gone and done it. I ordered a used sd9 off ebay. It should get here next week. I've admired the output of sigma cameras for a long time. Lately I've been using Fujifilm's excellent cameras and love the images I've been able to make, but somehow Foveon images looked different in a way I've not been able to replicate. I simply HAD to try a foveon camera myself.

Having got used to mirrorless cameras, I was looking to get either one of the sd Quattros or a dpx M. Then, I revisited some of the older sd9 images. I was blown away at the detail that is captured in some of them. Some prime examples here - http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/sd9. While I agree that there are a lot of different factors involved, given the wide variety of subjects and setting (and different users), I think there is definitely some elusive secret sauce in this device and I was keen to try it out for myself. I know at least half the people who read this will be shaking their heads saying here comes another one... , but I hope there are a few who will get what I am talking about.

Now that I have taken the plunge, I come to this forum seeking advice on how to get started using this 15 year old camera system. Here's what I've done so far -

1. Ordered 2GB CF cards (Trascend)

2. Ordered new batteries - both CR123a (Energizer) and CRV3 (Duracell Ultra)

3. Downloaded and am reading the camera manual

To do - figure out how to install and use the SPP software.. Any recommendations on resources here?

What I would really like to learn is workflow and image data capture efficiencies to yield the best images - limit to 100 ISO, but am willing to try 200 and 400 for B&W.

Basically, if under similar conditions, I am able to match the quality of the images on that pbase folder, I will consider this adventure a success. Any advice, tips, helpful blogs, links or books are greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all and have my fingers crossed that the device itself turns up in a working and usable condition.

p.s. - camera comes with 28-80mm and 70-300mm lenses. What other lenses would you recommend trying on this body to get the most out of it?

Thanks!

Bisonbison's gear list:Bisonbison's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow