Nikon 85 1.4 G - Contemplating switching to the 105 E

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,467
Nikon 85 1.4 G - Contemplating switching to the 105 E

Hi all,

So I have been reading up on the 105 E and how much better it is than the 85 1.4 G. I mainly use the 85 1.4 G for portraits where I guess sharpness shouldn't matter (although I see quite a few people selling their 85s and buying the 105 E for sharpness). My question is, will I see a noticeable difference compared with my 85 1.4 G lens? I am attaching a recent photo that I had taken with the D850 (handheld) and a 100% crop from that photo. Will the 105 E give me photos that are sharper than this? I guess I am having a little Nikon G.A.S. and would love to be brought down to earth. If the difference will not be that significant, then I will just stick with my 85 mm and save some cash. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sample Image from the Nikon 85 mm 1.4 G

100% crop

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +2 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow