Stills vs Video

Started Nov 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sonnycsc Regular Member • Posts: 279
Stills vs Video

I had this discussion with my stepfather once about photography as an art form, and he (being a bit of a cynic by nature) remarked that video is more exciting nature and travel than stills which he viewed as a 'been there, done that' case.

I can see where he's coming from. He may've been hinting at travel vlogging, that seemingly making you feel like you're actually there with the vlogger exploring new places. But I disagree in a bit of a different way. Vlogging may be better suited for wide open spaces, but not nature or urban life for example. It of course depends on the genre and the aesthetic style, be it colour or monochrome or any other visual experimentation which is much more flexible imo in stills than video.

That's when I wondered: why do I prefer stills much more to video? Perhaps because when you capture a still picture of something, you look at the whole composition and imagine the environment around that. You're using your own imagination to fill the captured world with more life and imagine yourself in it, whereas with video the captured world is already fixed and you're not given time to slow down and look that world.

TL; DR perhaps the main reason why I prefer stills to video is because I like stills more as a way of telling an open-ended story of the captured world.

Now I'm curious which of the two do others here prefer and why.

-- hide signature --

www.500px.com/rmimagery

sonnycsc's gear list:sonnycsc's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow